Education: Move Over Mundane Note Taking

Marisa Hammond Olivares
@ham_n_olives

A Brief Commentary and Article Share
Education: The purpose and outcomes of note taking

Ever stop to wonder what the purpose of note taking is? I tend to teach my students to quickly focus on valid keywords and context clues. This world is not slowing down and technology is buzzin' quicker than they can jot a note, or form a thought. 'Be quick and receptive'  has been the latest tagline on my whiteboard. Know what? They like it. And I am seeing a conscientious improvement in speed, analysis and retention of information. Did I mention I teach remedial readers in middle school?

Inspired by: Why We Need a Moratorium on Meaningless Note-Taking By, Susan Lucille Davis

Educators, be sure to visit and follow GettingSmart.com. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. I need to adopt this policy: I take way too many notes for my own good. Hehe. I like the idea of the valid keywords and context clues. :D

    ReplyDelete